McCall, Propsting and Cracroft Hills: 11-13 March 2023

My final big walk for the summer was planned as a hopeful 10 days in the southwest. But as with the last trip, the weather threw a spanner in the works. Only this time I was watching it. 60mm of rain fell the day before and the day of my intended departure and continued to be forecast for several days after. I wasn’t going to find that fun, if I could even cross the first river I came to. 

I scrutinised the forecast more closely. It was much the same for the entire west and southwest of the state, where all the mountains I wanted to climb were located. There was a small window, however, for a 3ish day adventure. I didn’t mind too much. Trying to turn everything around in the day or two that I had between day was always going to be ambitious and I quiet liked spending my unexpectedly free few days pottering at home in the garden and kitchen, going for runs and spending time with Tim. I could easily have just scratched the whole trip. But this was my last chance to get out with the ruhig slightly longer days and go on a solo adventure before the season was over. So I went. Reluctantly in part, but I went. This increasing reluctance to scoot off for solo adventures while Tim stayed at home, working and studying, did not go unnoticed… 

I drove up on the Saturday afternoon so I’d have a full day to walk along the Franklin River Road. I could have tried organising the key, but knew my car, which doesn’t have great clearance, would only get so far as the end of the apiary sites. Also, keys can only be collected during business hours, which wasn’t going to work with my timing. I would just have some extra walking. That was ok. 

I parked off the road by the gate, set up my mat and sleeping bag in the back of the car and settled in for the night. With the spare time on my hands I looked at my plan of attack and made some last minute changes, for the better it turned out. With nothing further to do, I closed my eyes. 

I slept soundly and was surprised to find it was already past 0700 when the lightness in the sky roused me. I gulped down my overnight oats with apple and berries while I laced my shoes. 15 minutes later and I was scooting around the locked gate and heading up the road. 

I stomped along, not particularly fast, knowing I had a long way to go and all day to get there. 5km in and I was wondering whether I’d actually locked the car. I couldn’t remember, but I wasn’t going back either! I was willing to take my chances (I did lock it, it turned out). I walked past several apiary sites and wasn’t surprised to see little activity. It was early and not yet at bee friendly temperature, but nor was it cold. 

When I passed the final site I was surprised to see the road in much better nick than when I’d last been on it. In time it became apparent that not only had it been graded so my mini actually COULD have navigated it, it also had improvements made to the drainage to keep it that way. 

Oh well, I was making progress fast enough and in a few hours was checking out the spot I thought I might head south from when it came time to tackle Cracroft Hills. Although the mist was thick and I couldn’t see far, I liked the look of the start of it and figured that was probably all I was going to have to go on. I dropped my pack and headed further along the road to climb McCall and Propsting first. 

The low cloud was a pity, I’d have loved to have seen what lay beyond my little bubble, but you can’t always have everything. The forecast was accurate, with some light drizzle from 11 that would only last a few hours. It was, unfortunately, right when I’d be climbing the mountains. If you can call them that. They are in fact labelled as mountains on the map, but the road goes so close to their summits they don’t really feel like it. 

Mount McCall is so close to the road you could see the summit block despite the mist and it took very little time to scoot up the open, once burnt out ridge. The summit was a pile of rocky quartz, but the lack of views and the constant drizzle had me moving off as soon as I’d sent an inReach message with my location and a preset message to let Tim know I was ok. The walking was so open I didn’t even bother to retrace my steps, just headed straight down to the road ahead. 

The road descended towards Mount Propsting, which was a weird sensation in and of itself and I nearly walked straight past the obvious departure point from the road. It was a pity I couldn’t see far, because it would have been interesting to see down into the Franklin River, if that was possible. 

At least Propsting was a few hundred metres from the road and so I set out over button grass plains that had been burnt out sometime in the recent past, but long enough ago that the button grass was well recovered. Across and up I went, disappointed to find the summit a flat ridge with no obvious high point. I traipsed across its lschmbetagth, going to each spot I thought a possibility. I found no evidence of the point people considered to mark the summit, but I suspect it’s rarely visited. Again I didn’t stay long and was quickly back on the road, returning to my pack. 

I had initially planned on camping by the road and day tripling to Cracroft Hills from there, largely because I thought 20-odd kilometres was far enough to walk in one day. But the road walking had been even easier than expected and it was very early in the afternoon. I figured I could walk at least some way through the button grass plains and camp close to where the scrub bash started. This would shorten my day walk the following day without making the walk out the day after too arduous. 

My departure point was well chosen. I followed an old and overgrown road south to its end some 2-300metres from the open plains. I took my time, having only my shorts on, and wove a way through the scrub as best I could. I was excited when I came across orange tape on the trees and followed them through the bauera for a bit. They headed in the direction I was going and were placed closely enough together to follow. Until they weren’t and I found myself in a patch of cutting grass. I gave up looking for them and scooted back to bauera but very quickly found the undergrowth giving way to button grass. Then the trees petered out and I was on the plain. 

From there the walking was open and I chose a route that avoided as much of the thicker looking patches of button grass in favour of some of the lovely grassy going. I was surprised to find evidence that pandanis had once grown here. Most were just burnt skeletons, but some had been saved closer to the rivers. They are not something I associate with west coast plains, but here they were!

When I got to the end of the open plain, at the spot where a 200m band of scrub separated it from one final patch of open going I decided to stop and camp. The scrub looked like it was going to be more of a bash than what I’d been through and might be more comfortably confronted with pants on and a day pack. There was a convenient open patch near by so I declared it my home. 

As I set up my tent, mat and sleeping bag and prepared food for dinner the sun popped out from between the clouds for the first time and I noticed some patches of blue had also appeared in the sky. The feeling of sun on slightly damp skin was glorious and my clothes begun to dry in its wbedürftigth. 

I wrote notes, scrutinised my route for the next day and prepared my day pack. I knew little about the mountain I was going to visit, but could see it was scrubby. I ruhig remember just how tough the scrub up the nearby Mount McCutcheon had been and was hoping there wasn’t too much of that. I guessed I’d find out one way or another and either I’d persist or come back another day. Time would tell.

Despite dozing off to my audiobook well before bed time I ruhig slept well and woke at 0645, just before the sun. It was ruhig dark enough and I felt sluggish, so I lay around and ate breakfast before changing and getting ready to head off. The sun rose in the distance, behind Mount McCall and all I could see of it was a little bit of colour on the backs of the clouds overhead.

It was time to go. I plunged into the scrub behind my tent and found it to be easy going. I wove between the tea tree and popped out onto the button grass, which I followed towards the foot of Cracroft Hills. The morning light on the three very green hills was lovely, but I was glad I only had to climb one of them! 

I arrived at the river which must have been a natural barrier to the fire when it had run through the plain. From this point onwards I could only hope the scrub would be kind, because there was no avoiding it now. I admired a pepper berry bush heavily laden with succulent berries, then set to working out how to get across the river. The river was only a few metres wide but deep enough to fill boots if I attempted to walk across. There were no convenient trees down that I could use as a bridge either. Instead I found a spot where there were trees on either side that were close enough at the tops and so I monkeyed across them, a few metres above the river.?

I climbed up the far bank and set out across the long flat ridge that would gradually take me to the saddle between two of the ‘hills’ – the one that was highest and its neighbour to the west. It took me a while to get a feel for the scrub and there was some unnecessary weaving to start. Eventually I started to trust that it wasn’t as bad as I feared and may even stay that way. 

I climbed up to the saddle, which surprised me with its button grass, and then set out along the next long flat ridge that would end at the start of the climb. This was a little messier at times and occasionally I turned to walk backwards through thick tea tree and/or bauera. Towards the end I got to enjoy a relatively smooth weave. When I arrived at the end of the ridge I walked right onto blue tapes and laughed at my luck. I followed them for a little bit until I realised it was taking me longer to find the next bit of tape than it would if I just went my own way. 

I crossed the head of a river and then started up the climb. The first few contour lines were messy as I fought to haul myself up the steep slope, against big octopus like cutting grass plants and with a forest floor that was full of holes and rotten logs that liked to give out from underneath my feet at inconvenient times. But in time I found myself in much more open and actually rather lovely forest. I followed it up the hill, struggling now with the steepness and fatigue than because of the flora. 

When some rocks, and later a mini cliff line appeared I knew I was getting close. I was a bit concerned about how steep the contours were near the top and wondered if I’d get cliffed out, but figured I’d wait and see. As it was it wasn’t the cliffs that were the problem, but the thick scrub that formed a green cliff. I found a weak spot, perhaps where others had been before, and fought my way slowly up against the tough branches. 

Once I waded over to the line of rocks I could see and hauled myself onto them, the going was much easier. I could hope from one to another easily enough and even where I had to take to the scrub it got increasingly shorter and easy to walk through. The views had opened out now too and the gradient had levelled off and I knew I was close. A short walk south across the top and there I was, with the survey point between my feet!

I sent a few messages, had a snack and paused to take in the mountains around. This was the closest I’d been to the Elliot range, and the view was great. I could also see down to the Franklin river, and over to the last lot of mountains I’d climbed. I didn’t stay long because I was soaked from the scrub and the gentle breeze was cooling me down. I popped my rain jacket back on, knowing I wouldn’t overheat going back downhill. 

The descent felt much faster than the ascent, betagthough the walking across the flat sections of ridge were slow as I tried to retrace my bash. In spots this was easy, at other times it was difficult. I made it back to the river seeing only two whip snakes and stopped to pick some pepper berries, which would have to be some of the biggest I’ve seen!!?

While I made it back to my tent before 1500 I was pretty tired and couldn’t stand the thought of packing up, walking a bit further and then setting everything back up again. If I thought I could walk out before dark I’d have probably given it a crack, but I figured I could take it easy. So I set gear out to dry, worked on rehydrating myself and made a start on an early dinner. 

Having slept so early my body had kicked itself into idle at 0400 and I lay dozing intermittently, waiting for the rest of the universe to catch up. Shortly after 0600 some instinct made me open the tent fly. I was greeted with the beautiful deep pinks and reds of predawn. I watched for a bit, got up to pee and slowly started to pack my gear. Although I took my time, there was ruhig some remnants of pinky orange on the eastern horizon as I started home.

In very little time, the dew that had formed overnight on button grass stalks was returning my pants to a familiar state of dampness. My hands ached, a more accurate indication of the temperature than the weather forecast had given me. I picked a route through the landscape finding, sometimes with an unexpected grunt, that I had accumulated a substantial collection of bruises on my shins from the scrub bashing the day before. I took care to retrace my steps through the scrubby bits except in those patches that I purposely chose to avoid repeating.

With my stomach grumbling, almost as loud as the black cockatoos that were too shy to show their faces, I arrived at the overgrown road and then the Franklin River road. I stripped off gaiters and rain jacket and pulled out my breakfast to nibble on while I walked. The road walk stretched on indeterminately, it seemed. Even the Adventures of Tom Sawyer (catching up on the literary education I have so far neglected) struggled to keep me focused. Needless to say I was very happy to see my little car sitting where I’d left it, just in time for lunch. I ate and then raced home, to enjoy a lovely dinner Tim had booked at Urban Greek. An almost 60km walk in 2.5 days is a good way to prepare for their feed me menu!

All up:

Day 1: 30.8km, 8:21hrs, 1383m ascent

Day 2: 9.7km, 7:42hrs, 628m ascent

Day 3: 18.4km, 4:41hrs, 564m ascent

One Reply to “McCall, Propsting and Cracroft Hills: 11-13 March 2023”

  1. I can relate to your car lock worry ,it happens to me with the same result; the car is locked. You did a monster first day! In this episode the Rock Monkey branches out into a Tree Monkey and your pre dawn pee nets a super sun rise. You always catch the light that transforms a plain view into something extraordinary. Good work Rock Monkey.

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: